Tips and Help for the New Freelance Web Writer

From the BloggingDude! Web Writing Tips and Writing For Money!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What Do You Make Per Word?

A money changer device                                     Image via Wikipedia I know.  A lot of web writers don't want to say what they make per word.  It's embarrassing.  Well, no; I take that back.  To web writers it isn't embarrassing because all of us have been in a spot where we are making peanuts.  To others though...brrr.

People who can't write will cringe at the fact that you might make a penny or less per word.  There's a simple reason for it.  They don't like to write.  To write 100 words for them is like pulling out finger nails and being water-boarded at the same time.  To us, writers/web writers, words come quick and easy.

When I first started writing on the web for money I was doing ALL of my work for a place called LondonBrokers.net .  I promise you.  I'll probably never do that again.  They were paying something likey $6.86 for a 500 word article plus 2 re-writes.  1500 words, 2 hours...for less than seven bucks.  Frig' that...and frig' them.

So, did I work my way through the web writing ranks and now make a lot of money?  Not exactly.  Though, I make a little more than a penny or two per word now. 

I joined Break Studios about 1 year ago and started writing some article or blog posts for Made Manual and Break which are their highly trafficked sites.  I started out like everyone else.  One article of 250-700 words made $8 and at the time it was a landfall.

I guess someone there liked me because they chose me for a program where the articles make $12 and have a lot better topics and titles to write. 

And you know what?  I haven't written much for them since. 

Why?  I don't know.  I guess that was one of the reasons I decided to start my own blogs and do my own web writing for my own domains.  My money is my money.  My effort is my effort and it was a validation that I could do this; at least a little bit.   It is at times like those that I constantly think about the 2004 Red Sox World Series win and their motto in the playoffs:

"Why Not US?" so...

WHY NOT ME?

And you know what?  WHY NOT YOU?


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment