Tips and Help for the New Freelance Web Writer

From the BloggingDude! Web Writing Tips and Writing For Money!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Crack The Boredom Blues and Write for Break Studios


 I've written a few times about Break Studios in the past.  Firs,t I said I liked working for them and actually gave them and A- for a grade.  And then my next mention was actually about having to stop working for them because I was overwhelmed (pity, that!).  I actually mentioned them more than that, but those are the two that I remember specifically.

Since then my work with (and opinion of) Break Studios has really solidified.  I've found my voice over there and love working/writing for them.  They are now a staple of my bi-monthly income as a freelance writer.

Break Studios actually operates a bunch of sites that are mostly man friendly such as; Break.com, MadeMan, Holy Taco, Cage Potato, Screen Junkies, and Chickipedia.


Pay


Break Studios pays $8 for an article of 250-700 words.  The disparity in word length is big in range but they mean it.  If it is a quality article/blog post on the low end side, near 250, it's still $8.  I like this because sometime I can put what I need to down in less than the maximum and still get paid to write the article.

Personally, I have submitted articles on the low and high end and have never gotten an editorial request to "add" more words.

I guess payment for articles is on the low end for some people's tastes but I don't think so because their articles are fun to write and go quickly if you know you're subject.  I know, "fun" don't pay the bills but for me it's half the battle.

Submission


Break Studios provides a text platform and submission tool right there on the site.  At first I abhorred it because I would navigate away and I would lose my work.  Just remember to save you work every few minutes or so.   Now I used it all the time and it has everything you need to construct a great article.

They also require that you provide at least 1 and up to 5 references as well as 5 tags.  This is fun for me too, don't ask me why, but I like the "tag" game.

Topics

These can get a little dicey in some instances but I have never had to say "whoa, I would be embarrassed for someone to read that!" But I have heard from some writers who don't appreciate the subject matter and…" to each his own."  Personally, I have no issue with it.   You'll have to decide for yourself on certain topics to ignore them or not.

Again, this is a site that is man heavy in topics and tone.  I love it.  You may not.

Editors


Great team!  The content manager, Stephanie Ocampo is friendly and responsive.  I can only imagine this goes for her whole team as I have never felt disrespected, belittled or hassled by "the crew".  They send back revisions and I fix them. That is the way I feel every freelance writer/editor relationship should be but I don't feel as though I couldn't talk the folks at Break about something that I really wanted to keep. As a freelance writer of articles you could do a lot worse.  (See any Demand Studios review!)

Things that I don't like about writing for Break Studios (Yes, there are some!)


They pay every 14 days and in order to be paid for an article it needs to be accepted 4 days prior to the pay date.  However, there is only a running list of what is submitted, accepted, and needs to be written.   I would like them to include a table where it shows my running total of credit per period.  I never know what is going to come in the Break Studios PayPal deposit but it always comes!


And lastly, my name goes on the articles but no link to my profile page (of which there is one!)  That would be a huge plus for us freelance writers who need to establish ourselves and our own blogs, pages and sites!


Final Analysis:  I like it and if you're interested in writing funny, fun, witty articles for men then you should check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment