Tips and Help for the New Freelance Web Writer

From the BloggingDude! Web Writing Tips and Writing For Money!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Web Writing Topics Can Be A Drag Somtimes

Writer L. Frank Baum, writing with pen.Image via WikipediaIf you've started writing for the web already and you're looking to make some money doing it then no doubt you have been to one of those sites that pay decent and always have work.  Dream come true, right?  Eh...

Are you having issues with there being plenty of work about everything you have no idea about?  I've had issues with that in the past. I'll back and forth through the job boards and say to myself (in a whining inner whimper) "but I don't know about any of that stuff."  Plus, many of them are B-O-R-I-N-G

Recently I learned a lesson due to my own stupidity and impatience that will benefit me in the long run.  I thought I'd share it with you.

Lesson 1:  If You Don't Know The Web Writing Topic Just Do Some Research


I started a blog about "what girls want".  I have 2 teenage daughters, an adult daughter, a wife, a bunch of female friends...hell, I've even got a female parrot! 

I wrote 2 posts and I was like "uhm, yeah...now what."  I was stumped.  I didn't know what to write about next.  I was in that rut where I couldn't think of another thing that a girl might want.

How did I fix this? I did research online.  I searched, read and studied other blogs of the same niche and got some pretty good ideas.  And this led to me to my next problem...

Lesson 2:  Consult An Expert


In this case it was easy. I went to my 17 yearn old, junior in high school daughter and started paying her for blog posts.  She's brilliant.  Besides her being part of my target audience age group, she's also the subject of my blog-a girl.

Both of these lessons learned can be applied to any kind of web writing.  Don't just skid over a job labeled "400 words on the cut-o-matic 3xyz2D" because it just might be a damned blender.  You can do that! And if you really don't know the stuff then go and do some research on it.  Or, ask a spouse, a friend, or daughter/son that might have some expertise on the subject.

 Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment